This neglected and obsolete 1927 Minneapolis home found us in desperate need of an update. Not only did it not have a design identity, but it’s performance was extremely poor. We used a holistic approach to address both shortcomings and bring this family home into the 21st century.
The house offers around 2,500 finished square feet on two and a half stories including a finished basement.
Over the course of 8 years, the home saw key updates and enhancements in these categories:
- Building envelope updates consisting of new ventilated metal and fiber-cement board siding, vented standing-seam metal roofing, new continuous weather barriers, improved airtightness, and added insulation levels; new windows and exterior doors
- Second-floor addition built with reclaimed, recycled and FSC lumber and local materials; advanced stick framing techniques
- New building envelope surfaces with high R-values (walls R-25 to 30; roofs R-60) with closed cell spray foam and cellulose insulation; diligent air-sealing techniques
- Mechanical systems including new heating plant and zoned distribution with programmable thermostats; new domestic hot water system and plumbing with low-flow fixtures throughout; addition of heat-recovery ventilation with enthalpy exchanger, and air-to-air heatpump air-conditioning (and swing season heating)
- Energy star appliance package
- Low and no VOC finishes throughout
- Earth-friendly landscaping and stormwater management
- LED lamping throughout
The owners are dedicated to living green, sustainably and energy efficiently. The approach chosen resulted in a durable and sustainable retrofit that enables the home to be an asset for the family for years to come. In combination, the carefully tailored design and solutions yielded a GreenStar Gold certification.
Click on any image to start viewing some details:
Photo credit: TE Studio
Design: Tim Delhey Eian, TE Studio, Ltd.
Construction: Various Structural
Engineering: Eric Bunkers, Bunkers and Associates
Project: 2002 – 2010
Photo Credits: Richard Schultz via TE Studio, Ltd. & TE Studio, Ltd.
Performance: Heating energy demand reduced by 50% over baseline performance.
Certification: Green Star Gold (Remodel Type III)