GreenStar Gold in Minneapolis
A comprehensive makeover, addition, and performance upgrades deliver GreenStar Gold certification in the urban core.
This neglected and obsolete 1927 Minneapolis home found us in desperate need of an update. Not only did it not have a design identity, but it’s performance was extremely poor. We used a holistic approach to address both shortcomings and bring this family home into the 21st century.
The house offers around 2,500 finished square feet on one and a half stories including a finished basement. Over the course of 8 years, this labor of love was treated to some significant updates:
- Building envelope retrofit consisting of new ventilated metal and fiber-cement board siding, vented standing-seam metal roofing, new continuous weather barriers, improved airtightness, and added insulation levels; new windows and exterior doors
- New building envelope surfaces with high R-values (walls R-25 to 30; roofs R-60) with closed cell spray foam and cellulose insulation; diligent air-sealing techniques
- Second-floor addition built with reclaimed, recycled and FSC lumber, local materials, as well as advanced stick framing techniques
- New high-efficiency heating plant and zoned distribution with programmable thermostats
- Updated domestic hot water system and plumbing with low-flow fixtures throughout
- New balanced heat-recovery ventilation system with enthalpy exchange
- New air-to-air heat pump cooling and dehumidification, as well as swing season heating
- Energy star appliance package
- Low and no VOC finishes throughout
- Earth-friendly landscaping and stormwater management
- LED lamping throughout
The owners are dedicated to living green, sustainably and energy efficiently. The approach chosen resulted in a durable and sustainable retrofit that enables the home to be an asset for the family for years to come. In combination, the carefully tailored design and solutions yielded a GreenStar Gold certification.
- Design: Tim Delhey Eian
- Construction: Various
- Engineering: Eric Bunkers, Bunkers and Associates
- Project: 2002 – 2010
Performance & Certifications